Towanda Public Library now has wireless internet set up, so if you want to bring your laptop in and relax in our adult reading area, we’re ready for you.
Our internet policy enfolds the new wireless set-up. Read the following internet policy points (3 and 4) to clarify any questions about usage. Also feel free to ask if you have any questions, or if you’d like to see the entire policy.
Any adult patron (eighteen (18) years of age or older) in good standing with the Library is allowed to use the Library’s public computers. Children under the age of eighteen (18) may use the Library computers only with signed permission from a parent. “Good standing” is defined as no overdue books, unpaid fines, or other outstanding issues with the Library.
4. Internet User Responsibilities
A. Users shall:
- Respect the legal protection provided by copyright license to software, books, articles and other electronic files.
- Respect the privacy of others.
- Download files from a Web site directly to any supported portable storage media.
- Use the library’s computer for social networking and interactive gaming.
B. Users shall not:
- Access illegal Internet sites defined by state and federal laws.
- Access web pages or sites that contain materials that are defined in Kansas statutes as “harmful to minors (KSA 21-4301c) or “obscene” (KSA 21-4301).
- Gain or try to gain unauthorized access to restricted resources or entities.
- “Hack into or interfere” with other users, system operations, integrity or security of the library computer system or any other computer system.
- Attempt to gain access to another person’s files or passwords.
- Intentionally obtain copies or modify files, passwords, or data that belong to the Library or its users.
- Harass other with messages, prints, images, and cyber bullying or software programs.
- Use inappropriate language or images in any way.
- Load or run any software other than what resides on the Library’s computers.
- Tamper with, mishandle, damage or attempt to damage computer hardware or software.
- Access a non-library wireless network while on library premises.
- Interfere with, deliberately attempt to circumvent, or tamper with the filtering software.
- Use the Library’s computers for gambling, gaming, or social networking is prohibited.